How to keep your cats at home. You love your cats and you want them to be happy, healthy, and safe. But sometimes they like to wander a bit too far from home. How can you keep them from straying?
There are a number of easy tips you can follow to keep your cats at home where they belong. In this post, we’ll share 10 of the best ways to keep your cats happy and content in their own environment.
How to keep your cats at home – Keep Your Cats Indoors
You may think it’s cute to let your cats roam free, but the fact is that it’s not good for them—or for your neighborhood. Here are 10 easy tips for keeping your cats at home:
- Keep your cats indoors. This is the number-one rule for keeping your cats safe.
- Set up a litter box and make sure it’s always clean.
- Provide plenty of toys and scratching posts for your cats to play with.
- Feed your cats a diet of wet and dry food, and make sure they have fresh water available at all times.
- Get a collar and ID tag for each of your cats, in case they get lost.
- Spay or neuter your cats to help reduce the population of feral cats.
- Train your cats not to jump up on counters or furniture by using a spray bottle or noise maker.
- Make sure your windows have screens, so your cats can’t get out (and birds can’t get in).
- Close off any areas of your house that you don’t want your cats to roam in.
- If all else fails, consider hiring a professional cat sitter to keep an eye on them while you’re away
Provide Plenty of Toys and Stimulation
You may think that providing your cats with plenty of toys and stimulation is enough to keep them happy and content at home, but you would be wrong. Just like with dogs, you need to be a bit more proactive in keeping your cats content.
One of the best ways to do this is by creating a designated play area for your cats. This could be a spare room, or even just a corner of the living room. Make sure it’s stocked with plenty of toys and climbing structures, and be sure to rotate the toys regularly to keep your cats entertained.
You can also engage your cats by playing with them one-on-one. Get down on the floor and use a bunch of different toys—a stuffed toy, a fishing pole toy, even just a piece of string—to engage them in some interactive playtime.
How to keep your cats at home – Create a Safe Outdoor Space
You’ve probably seen those cats that wander around the neighborhood, and you may have even been lucky enough to have one show up on your porch. Well, you don’t want that to be your cat.
There are a lot of dangers lurking outside, from cars to coyotes, and you don’t want to take the chance of losing your furry friend. The good news is that there are a lot of things you can do to keep your cats at home.
Here are 10 tips for creating a safe outdoor space for your cats:
- Make sure they always have access to food and water.
- Provide a litter box and keep it clean.
- Create a safe outdoor space with a sheltered area and plenty of toys.
- Install a fence or use netting to keep them in their yard.
- Trim back any trees or branches that could provide a hiding place for predators or prey.
- Use motion-activated lights to scare away any predators that may be lurking around.
- Put out some deterrents like mothballs, ammonia or citrus peels to keep them away from certain areas.
- Keep an eye on them when they’re outside and bring them in as soon as it starts getting dark.
- Have them microchipped and registered with your local animal shelter in case they do get out.
- Reward them for staying inside by giving them lots of love and attention!
Keep Them Fed and Hydrated
You can keep your cats at home by feeding them and hydrating them. It’s important to keep their food and water bowls full at all times, especially if you’re gone for long periods of time.
You might also want to consider buying a cat feeder that dispenses food at scheduled intervals. This will help ensure that your cats are getting the food they need when you’re not there to give it to them.
And don’t forget the water! A fountain or water dispenser can help keep your cats hydrated, especially if you live in a hot climate.
How to keep your cats at home – Spay or Neuter Your Cats
You might not know this, but spaying or neutering your cats is one of the most effective ways to keep them at home.
It’s not just about preventing them from having kittens—it’s also about keeping them healthy. When cats are spayed or neutered, their hormones are balanced, which can help ward off diseases like cancer. It also helps them stay calm and relaxed, which means they’re less likely to wander away from home.
So if you’re serious about keeping your cats at home, talk to your veterinarian about getting them spayed or neutered. It’s an easy way to keep them safe and healthy.